Monday, August 10, 2009

A Sense of Accomplishment

In a previous blog, I mentioned that I had a new running partner, Lori. Yesterday was our first adventure on the road. In all honesty I think that she is just as excited about running with me as I am with her.

On Saturday, she and her husband drove their neighborhood to mark out a course that was 5 miles, which according to Hal I was supposed to run on Sunday. She and I had decided to meet at her house bright and early Sunday morning to tackle to run due to the cooler temperature. I was excited and nervous. Little did I know that she had run just about every race that I want to run, that she had been running for many years, and that she would be as encouraging as she was.

Sunday morning came, I met her at her house. She was waiting on me outside to start the run. We timed when we left so that we could get an estimate of what we would run. According to my training schedule, week one, for the Governor's Cup in November Half-Marathon, the five miles required of us seemed a little intimidating not being familiar with the course. The time went by quickly as she and I talked most of the way. As we rounded the turn back to her house, we were amazed that we had finished 5 miles in about 40 minutes. I felt a huge sense of accomplishment. Afterward, even though we were pouring sweat, our tongues hanging out, we were smiling. We didn't quit and this is only week one of training. We had done it.

We decided that we would run a couple times a week and on the weekend. I am so thankful for an addition to my support team. She pushes me and she encourages me too.

Being so excited, I called home to relay the news of our time. My excitement and joy was shared as usual which I appreciate more that anyone will ever know Epsom salt soak was followed by a rub down with Thai Oil and a much deserved nap. Surprisingly my legs felt pretty good, I was expecting them to be very sore.

I forgot to mention that I had been bored at home one day last week and had done a leg workout (P90X leg workout) not real smart when I am pounding the pavement every week at least 20 - 30 miles a week, so my hamstrings were hating me. I was hard headed as usual and had to pay the price, I learned my lesson.

This morning, my cell phone rang. It was Lori. She called to check to see how I was feeling, if my legs were terribly sore and to schedule our next run. She also encouraged me by telling me that I had done really well yesterday. We are running together on Wednesday, it's a quick 3 miles. This time it's my course, which is flat with a small increasing grade but nothing like those hills. I am looking forward to it as well is she.

I have come to the conclusion that I have found much more than a running partner. I have found a friend and for that I am even more thankful...




No comments:

Post a Comment