Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Zane...

I think I have the most rewarding job ever, hands down.  To begin with, being a stylist is what I have wanted to do since I was five years old.  It took twenty eight years to get there but I am doing it, following  my dream.  Everyday I get to "play hair" so really I do not consider what I do a job so much but a pleasure.

I get to share in people's most exciting moments, their saddest and most of the time I know things about each person that they would never share with anyone else, kind of like a bartender.  These people understand that what they share with me will not leave the chair, it is completely confidential.

The most rewarding part of my job is seeing the smiles on the faces of those people that I have helped achieve the look that they desire and to do a complete transformation on someone.  Most of the time I only wish that I had taken before and after pictures.  Which brings me to an event that occurred yesterday.

While swimming at the Y, I met a lady, Patty who swims as well.  She asked me in a brief conversation that we had what I did for a living, I told her I was a hairstylist.  She started to ask me questions and told me that her son had really curly hair and was having problems with getting it cut the way that he wanted it and was wondering if I could possibly straighten it.  I agreed and she called to make an appointment for him, Zane.  My initial observation of him was that he was very self-conscious.  His head hung low, should slouched down, and no smile was any where near being formed on his mouth. I am thinking to myself that I hope that I have not bitten of more than I can chew.

I first just started to cutting and thinning.  The conversation between his mother and I was going back and forth about chemical straightening.   In speaking with Zane his anxiety was high because Wednesday was his first day of high school.  I told his mom that I had time to straighten it if she wanted me to and he pleaded please, mom let her straighten it.  Well I did, and it turned out fabulous.

Zane went from hanging his head to his shoulders back and a broad smile across his mouth.  He was truly happy and the anxiety of the first day of high school had been alleviated somewhat.  He was actually looking me in the eye by this point.  The transformation was remarkable.

What made it even better was the email I received from his mom to say that I was Zane's hero.  She appreciated so much that I had stayed late to straighten his hair and that I had boosted his confidence by volumes.  I responded that I was glad that I could help.

No comments:

Post a Comment