Tuesday, August 24, 2010

the longest thirty minutes of my life...

The occurrence of a call that can stop my heart, cause a lapse in breathing and literally make me count the seconds until thirty minutes is over, that was eight o'clock today.

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, Nik's mom, Irma is the closest person I have ever had to be mother figure with whom I can share whatever without repercussion.  To me she's like no one I've ever had in my life, if there is a such thing as a perfect mother-in-law, her picture would appear beside the definition.  In the few years that I have known her, our relationship has grown and we are truly friends and she is my confidant.  She as talks to me about anything and I mean anything which is just fine with me.  On more than one occasion I have conveyed what a great job she did raising her son.  I cherish every moment I get to spend with her.

Yesterday she even began her journey to getting her life back full.  She and I discussed how she had always been a caregiver to everyone else.  I told her it was time to take care of herself.  I told her that I could not imagine my life without her in it and that we needed her to be around for a long time.  So she began her journey of working out yesterday at our house.  She did the elliptical, and did it well for her first time.  Nik and I were and are so proud.  She will be back tonight.

Well back to the phone call that stopped the world from revolving. Irma had not been feeling well last week, running a temperature and a few other symptoms but she ended up going to get blood work.  Anyway the doctor had left a message last saying that she needed to call the office concerning her blood work.  In a panic she called us this morning thinking that the office opened at eight o'clock. Of course, my first thoughts are the worst because last year was rough, to say the least on both sides of our family. As we all know doctors offices are not opened all night so this made the waiting even worse for her, I cannot even fathom what she was going through. She called at eight and the doctors office did not open until eight thirty.  So we had to wait to find out.  I felt like I was holding my breath and my heart was faintly beating for the thirty minutes that felt like an eternity.

Finally at eight thirty my phone rang, it was her. She was not crying, so I'm figuring either she is in shock or everything is just fine. I think I might be able to breath now, then she says the doctor says "it's all good." I started laughing because I was overjoyed that she was ok. She said," Jes, Pam I am just fine." She finished it off with an "ah, ah, ah and I'll see you tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment