Monday, October 26, 2009

Call it Ingorance...I call it determination.

Maybe it's the age, the track record, call it ignorance. There seems to be a common factor between women my age, the ambition and drive to do whatever it is we decide to set our sights on.

This past weekend I have a friend who completed the Marines Marathon is DC. She completed the entire 26.2 miles but not before blowing her IT band. She did it. I am so proud of her. The enormous amount of pain endured I cannot even fathom. Her name is Rachel. Throughout her journey to complete her first marathon, she battled knee problems, bursitis, strained IT band, and terrible blisters on her feet. She completed her marathon for her children, so they would be proud of her. Her determination and guts pushed her through to the finish line. Her recovery will be lengthy but I am sure it was worth every pain she had to just finish. Pure Determination!

Recently I hurt my ankle while running. I talked to Lori about it and her answer was what anyone who has a terrific running buddy like I do would expect. She told me she would do her best to carry me across the finish line.

This weekend as she and I were doing our distance run on Saturday, Lori started to feel sick, she told me to leave her and finish. I refused. We stayed together. There was no way I was leaving her not feeling well on the road. She had battled a stitch for about six miles, I've been there, it is not fun. She didn't leave me, the thought would not have crossed her mind.

We have less than two weeks before we have our first half-marathon. Anticipation, but no nervousness is present. I am so thankful she decided to run it with me and that she is my friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment